A Shirt is the representing item to show how many lives a Player has. Each character has their own icon for this and every time the player reaches a game over or loads the game they are given by default three lives.
- Randomly after killing an enemy.
- Collecting 100 chips (Only in Ape Escape 1).
- Bought in the store in Ape Escape 3.
- From the Gotcha Box in Ape Escape 2.
- The main character can hold up to 99 shirts/jackets, which is the typical cap on items in many video games.
- Despite being called Shirts, Spike is the only playable character to have a regular t-shirt for his icon. Even though Jimmy and Kei's life icons are described as jackets in the games, Jimmy's top looks more like a vest while Kei's top is actually his baseball uniform. Yumi is the only playable character that wears a real jacket that matches the appearance of her life icon.
- In Ape Escape: SaruSaru Big Mission, the life icon isn't a t-shirt, but a battery, since the player is controlling the movement of the laboratory, not the character's.
|Characters||Casi · Jake · Natalie · Professor · Specter · Spike|
|Gadgets||Dash Hoop · Magic Punch · Monkey Radar · R.C. Car · Sky Flyer · Slingback Shooter · Stun Club · Time Net · Water Net|
| || |
|Prehistoric Era/ The Lost Land||Fossil Field · Primordial Ooze · Molten Lava|
|Cenozoic Era/ Mysterious Age||Thick Jungle · Dark Ruins · Cryptic Relics|
|Dimension/Dimension X||Stadium Attack|
|Primitive Age/Oceana||Crabby beach · Coral Cave · Dexter's Island|
|Ice age/New Freezeland||Snowy Mammoth · Frosty Retreat · Hot Springs|
|Dimension/Dimension X||Gladiator Attack|
|Recent Past/Medieval Mayhem||Sushi Temple · Wabi Sabi Wall · Crumbling Castle|
|Present-Day/Futurama||City Park · Specter's Factory · TV Tower|
|Present-Day 2/Specter Land||Monkey Madness|
|Dimension/Dimension X||Peak Point Matrix|